Monday 20 October 2014

Culinary Delights

Traditional Pastelle

Hum when yuh hear Pastelles yuh know Christmas is near. I have never met anyone who does not like Pastelles.




Well, I know we are all familiar with traditional fillings for Pastelles, like chicken, beef, pork, vegetable and even fish, but has anyone ever ate a Spinach and Salt Fish Pastelle ? Yes Spinach and Salt Fish I said; believe it or not it tasted really really good. I was so impressed that I ordered a dozen and I am boss Pastelle maker and have never purchased a Pastelle in my life until tasting that scrumptious Spinach & Salt Fish Pastelle.




Yuh know many, modern day Pastelle makers doh use fig leaves, and use only foil when making Pastelles. I have to confess that I am half traditional, half modern. Yes I use foil to totally wrap the Pastelles but also use a piece of fig leaf, as I was told the leaf actually adds flavor, I don’t know how true that is, but I do it anyway.



Are there any half traditional, half modern Pastelle makers out there?

1 comment:

  1. That spinach and salt fish pastelle seems rather tantalizing, and it would be perfect for a household like mine, with vegetarians! I'm no pastelle maker but I certainly want to try it!

    ReplyDelete